Billy Lowe styles the Shanghai Ladies for a Hennessey Liquors special event.
Over the years, I've heard so many clients say different things when describing what they are looking for.
- I WANT A GREAT HAIRCUT.
- LOOK AT THIS PICTURE, I WANT MY HAIR LIKE THIS.
- I WANT TO LOOK LIKE HEATHER LOCKLEAR
- How much time do you have in the morning?
- What do you do for a living, in your spare time, etc?
- Did you know that magazine photo you're looking at is 5 hour hair prep and hundreds of photos just to get that one perfect shot?
When I first meet with a client my first question is "What do you do for a living?" Not that I care about their profession, but it helps me understand their needs. If a mother has 3 children and a full time job, I know that a cut and style needs to suit her lifestyle on a daily basis and not one that requires hot rollers every day. So here are a few tips for you in finding that perfect style.
- Identify how much time you really have to work with and how much you're ready to commit to.
- Ask your hairstylist to prescribe the same products and tools that he/she uses so you can re-create the look at home for yourself
- Be realistic about cuts and shapes. It's true that some cuts aren't right for everyone.
- Notice people in a restaurant, or a mall, or social outings and if you see someone's haircut that you like, feel free to ask them how it works for them, and whether or not it's easy to manage.