Well it's here. Lots of tips, techniques and recaps from today's HOME AND FAMILY SHOW sharing summertime hair tips. Funny thing - as I was leaving the set yesterday there were so many tourists, tour buses and people taking photos of the set, hoping to see that someone famous, and I drove off the lot thinking how truly lucky I am to get to do what I do, where I do, and with some amazing friends & colleagues.
Obviously as a health and beauty expert, sun, sand and surf affects more than just our hair. We also need to take good care of our skin so many of these tips are "crossover" tips on caring for yourSELF this summer. So just what ARE these great tips for summer?
WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR HAIR.
- Wide brim hats (hats in general). These help protect hair, top of head, hairline area and some of the neck/shoulder area from excess sun exposure. Don't forget the guys this season and encourage them to wear hats.
- SPF STICK. LOVE them. A lot of people are sensitive to sprays or lotions and SPF Sticks are just like small deodorant sticks that you can rub on.
- Protect the top of your hair or part-line by using the SPF Stick or spray a light sunscreen at partline/scalp area. Don't forget the hairline and the back of your neck.
- Apply leave-in conditioners or use products with sunflower. Sunflower is a natural UV defender.
- HAIR SERUMS. Here's the key. When there's moisture in the hair, it's more prone to frizzing. When hair frizzes it becomes weak brittle and prone to more damage. Obviously we recommend GLOSS & TOSS hair shine & treatment serum to smooth hair, lock down the cuticle layer and leave hair looking & feeling smooth.
- Shampoo & condition your hair immediately after swimming. Don't allow chlorine to dry in your hair as it can discolor it.
- Use baking soda in your shampoo to help detox or break-down any seasonal build-up. Just remember to condition well.
THE HOT STYLE FOR SUMMER: Beachy Waves
Obviously you want to avoid excess heat during summer months so this technique is great, easy, and allows hair to cool and take soft tousled shape without curling irons or hot rollers. Simply blow-dry hair smooth using a round brush. Remember the size of the bend is determined by the size of your brush. I used a small 2" round on the client for the show. As each section is dry, wrap the section around your fingers and clip to scalp area with a classic duck bill clip. You can find these anywhere. Finish with a light-hold spray and allow to cool. Release clips, allow hair to fall, shake loose and voila.
Stay tuned for these and other great beauty tips. To book Billy Lowe for a salon appointment or on location event, please call 310-430-4045 or visit billylowe.com & send an email.