Hosted by Kym Douglas
Of all the things I've learned through the years both in corporate retail and reality television, PEOPLE LOVE TIPS. Yes, lots of hair tips, how to's, and show me how's. Last week I was contacted by my friends at the Hallmark Channel Home and Family Show and asked to do a HOW TO segment on a great blow-out at home. Now while an 8 minute segment is hardly enough time to run through an entire blow-out, it allowed us a lot of GREAT time to discuss products, tools and accessories needed to achieve the look at home. Since the segment, I've already gotten a ton of emails and phone calls asking me about where to buy products, how much, how many, or when to use.
Believe it or not, I graduated with a degree in Education before going into the health and beauty business so sharing product knowledge and tips is really a focus for me as a hair stylist and beauty expert.
So just how do you get a great blow-out at home? Well as our host Kym Douglas shared, a blow-out can run from $45 to $200 or more depending on the time, location, season or event. So what should a person at home do for gorgeous tresses?
1. Start w/ a great hair dryer. Look at the weight, heat, noise and "speed" of the dryer. Bring all 4 elements together and you've got a GREAT dryer.
2. Know your products. Use salon professional products and speak to your hair stylist about these.
3. Styling tools, combs, brushes, clips and other tools to help you create nice clean sections.
4. Blow-dry (with fingers) hair until it's about 70-80% dry. You don't iron wet shirts - and hair is the same idea. Hair takes shape when it's about 80-90% dry and the last 10% is just finishing and hold.
5. Thermal protectors and styling products. Obviously I recommend Gloss & Toss Hair Shine serum. This is a product I developed years ago and it's now an industry favorite for healthy, shiny hair. Gloss & Toss helps to speed up blow-dry time, fight frizz & humidity, control unruly ends and add gorgeous polish & shine to hair all without weighing it down. Available online at GLOSSANDTOSS.NET
6. Finish with light-hold sprays or shaping waxes/creams to tame down fly-aways
7. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. Make it fun, keep it light, don't stress.
And as Kym wanted to know - What if you only have 5 minutes and y ou're running out in a hurry?
ABSOLUTELY. Just focus on the "face forward" front 1/4 hair sections, blow-dry those smooth and allow back to air dry naturally. You'll save a lot of time and feel great about "beauty on the go."
Until next time, yours in beauty,
Celebrity hair stylist - National Beauty Expert
Founder of Gloss & Toss