Here are my top celebrity hair tips for protecting the integrity of color or chemically treated hair.
- Avoid shampooing for 24-48 hours after color or chemical services. This gives the cuticle time to re-bond and look/feel normal. During hair color services the cuticle is opened to deposit color, then hair goes through shampoo and blow-drying and it's a lot of wear and tear on the hair. So go easy for a couple of days just after your services.
- Be careful of tight ponytails. Chemically treated hair can be fragile and tight ponytails can cause breakage at the gather area, as well as the front hair line.
- Use professionally prescribed salon products and do not self prescribe! So many clients get lost in the shuffle and the allure of retail products and while we love our shoppers, we'd rather they use products that are right for them, and those that their stylist recommends.
- Avoid chlorinated water. If you do swim, pre-treat hair with a light conditioning mist before swimming and shampoo/condition immediately after your dip.
- Work with seasoned color professionals and that know their craft for best results. A seasoned stylist knows many hair tips that can help you get the best results from your services.
- Avoid excess sun to help prevent color fading. But my friends at SunGrubbies.com can help you with sun hats to help your hair look its best.